Friday 12 September 2008

TFS 2005 to TFS 2008 upgrade

Ran into a bit of an issue today when upgrading to TFS 2008. What we did was create an identical copy of TFS 2005 server (the live machine) to a new cloned server.

I then started to follow the directions laid out by Mathias here (Very useful)

The problem is I began to uninstall on the "clone" server and all of a sudden our live TFS server started to report errors. I found a useful post here detailing the error and the reasons.

Basically what it boils down to is the TFS clone server has the original live server's name configured as the database tier. So as I uninstalled it on the clone server it was actually removing stored procedures on the live server. Not good!!!

We resolved this my reverting back to the previous nights backup.

So be aware of this when installing TFS 2008 on a cloned machine.

No comments: